Hans your Jama article mademe curious. I inquried about it with some friends
andgot this information.  It seems to make referencce to the test the
article you refer to.  There seem to be enough inconsistencies in the
findings to draw definite conclusions at this time.

Council for Responsible Nutrition• Contact CRN 202.872.1488
• 1875 Eye Street, NW, Suite 400
• Washington, DC 20006
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Judy Blatman 202-263-1005

New Study on Gingko Should Be Evaluated in Scientific Context

Washington, D.C., August 20, 2002 — The Council for Responsible Nutrition
(CRN), in response to a new study to be published Aug. 21 on ginkgo (Ginkgo
biloba L.) in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), urged
consumers to judge the results in the context of the very large body of
clinical evidence on this well-studied botanical.

"This study should not be viewed as the definitive word on the subject, but
simply one more addition to an extensive amount of scientific information,
much of it positive, on ginkgo," said John Cardellina, Ph.D., vice
president, botanical science and regulatory affairs, CRN. "This study adds
to our body of knowledge, but is certainly not the final word on the
subject."

Ginkgo is one of the most clinically studied of all the botanicals in the
marketplace. More than 120 clinical studies of ginkgo have been conducted to
date, the majority focused on memory and cognitive function in elderly
patients with modestly impaired mental function. Most of the studies show
significant, demonstrable benefit.

An Expert Review of the Safety and Benefits of Botanicals, a new report to
be issued in the fall by CRN and the American Botanical Council (ABC),
includes an evaluation of the clinical evidence accrued to date for ginkgo.
The panel of 11 experts, spanning a wide range of scientific

and medical expertise, found that there was clear evidence of benefit from
ginkgo for memory and cognitive function in adults with early stage mental
impairment and in cases of peripheral vascular disease (intermittent
claudication).

The evidence for benefit in cognitive function and memory in unimpaired
adult populations is mixed, with some trials showing benefit and others,
like this latest study, showing none.

According to Jerry Cott, Ph.D., a psychopharmacologist and a member of the
expert panel, "This is clearly an area that would benefit from additional,
carefully designed research. As new studies are developed, three factors
should be strongly considered in the study design: first, the size of the
population to be studied, so that results have statistical significance for
the effects to be measured. For example, a study of normal elderly is really
a population study requiring many thousands of subjects over several years,
whereas a study of mild cognitive impairment could be accomplished with a
more reasonable number of subjects in a shorter period of time. The second
factor is the specific effects to be measured and the means to measure them
accurately, and the third is the dose or dose range to be investigated to
achieve the sought-after effects."

----

The Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN) is one of the dietary supplement
industry’s leading trade associations representing ingredient suppliers and
manufacturers.

Note to Editor: To arrange an interview with CRN scientists, John
Cardellina, Ph.D., or Annette Dickinson, Ph.D., please contact Judy Blatman
at 202-263-1005.

To arrange an interview with Jerry Cott, Ph.D., contact 301-935-5343 or
202-746-9693 (cell phone).

• HOME
• News Releases