Thanks for your insight.  To give more of his condition: Brother has some
form of dementia.  Cannot walk on his on.  May have had strokes in past 8
years.  However, when he contracted pneumonia in March, 2002 and had to have
PEG put in place he was walking with assistance.  This is the amazing part.
When he was home his wife would get him out of bed with his assistance and
get him on his feet with his assistance and then walk him (like they were
dancing) over to the STAIRCASE and help him walk down to the main floor.
Then she would assist him to his chair in the living room.  At night she
would assist him (like dancing) to the staircase and he would go up on his
own holding on to the banister (again without her help)!  Then when he got
to the top he would need assistance to get to his bed.  This routine lasted
about 3-4 years.  Now his wife cannot assist him...and he cannot assist
himself.  He cannot talk and tell you what he wants...he and his wife just
know what to do from living together so long.  He can read and comprehend to
some degree - it appears..and cannot write.  When he does not get what he
wants he lets you know by groaning or making a loud noise.  His wife was
taking him home on the weekends from the nursing home...but now it is more
difficult since he cannot assist himself. When he went to the PD Dr in
(April/May?) the Dr. had him stand on his own...and he did with difficulty.
Now that ability is gone because he has not been doing this at the nursing
home.  He definitely cannot walk on his own-even with assistance....and he
knows that and does not try.  But with assistance he did walk back in March
and April....we had fun walking together...and his wife was able to take him
home.  Now he is dead weight in transferring from his bed to the wheelchair
to the car to the wheelchair to his living room chair to his bed.  The
reason he went to the nursing home was the aide that was assisting him at
home could not give him the food through the PEG and the Dr. at the hospital
recommended a nursing home.

Larry