Larry,

Is it possible that your brother has had more mini strokes and that impaired
his ability to move (dead weight to move anywhere)?  Undoubtedly, not being
"danced" around the house each day is part of the reason he is not
moving.....but is it the entire reason?

If he could "dance" a few feet.....(bedroom to the top of the stairs) would
it actually get him anywhere in the nursing home?  (It was a l-o-n-g walk
from my mom's room to the dining room.....and she had not walked that
distance in years).  Climbing stairs is a different muscle group than walking
on straight land.....many of us could climb stairs when we had difficulty
walking.

You mention "enjoying" walking with your brother.....could you still take him
for long walks in his wheelchair when you visit?  My husband and I used to
enjoy long walks, but he does not easily accept a wheelchair for me at this
time, so we don't take those walks anymore.   Eventually he will accept a
chair, and we can "walk" together again.  Have you tried this with your
brother?

Is there anything his wife cannot do with him at the nursing home that she
would do with him at home (other than dance him from one piece of furniture
to the other?)

I am continuing this line of questions only because I do believe that family
members sometimes have more guilt and more difficulty accepting the decline
than the patient does.  Or we as PWP wrestled with the decline in earlier
years when our families were still "questioning" our symptoms/diagnosis,
ignoring our subtle struggles, or telling us how we could handle them
better.....and now we are more accepting (and have less energy) to deal with
some of these issues.  Sometimes we have fought the fight valiantly....and
decided to watch the world in our own quiet way.

How often in the day is your brother "combative" or "lettting you know he
doesn't like the situation".....How much more often does this occur than when
he was 50 years old?  (Some people are always combative and could never be
satisfied.....others are more easy going from the start......has this
changed??)

It is difficult to face aging, and inability to cope with simple tasks of
life.  I did come to understand/accept the fact that in a nursing home, my
mother was safe, well nourished, clean, warm, dry.......had more activities
than she would have had at home, around more people than she would have been
at home (and most are alive, responsive, attentive....staff and visitors),
and more mental stimulation.

Rita