This can't be repeated often enough:

Were I to have to choose the principal thing that I have learned from being a
member of this listserv for the past six years, it is that one must not assume
that all doctors are as knowledgeable about drug interactions as we might like
them to be.  Parkinson's is not such a common disease that all doctors have had
experience with it, and it is wise, perhaps necessary, to remind them to check
the possibility of interactions before we go for surgery and for our caregivers
to stay on top of the situation while we are sedated.

It is for this reason that I gave up Eldepryl (selegiline).  When I had no
caregiver to speak for me, I worried that should I be in a situation that
required immediate sedation, there would be nobody to say, "Don't use Demerol.
It could kill."  I understand that a number of deaths due to this drug
interaction did occur.  One can only conjecture how many of these occurred
after the effect was known but before the information was disseminated - and
how many afterwards before the knowledge was actually absorbed.  A straggling
few of us may remember the late Alan Bonander, who pushed to make this
interaction better known.

And although I have learned many useful things from the Parkinson Information
Exchange, I have to rate this as the most important.  Yesterday I had minor
oral surgery, for which I  was sedated.  It took the doctor a short while to
research it, but I wouldn't sign the consent form until he said, in the
presence of others, that he had double checked for drug interactions.

Art