On 23 Sep 2002 at 20:15, Bob Allison wrote:

> California is to be commended, but I heard on NPR that there is some
> doubt that this law will have an impact because companies cannot
> obtain patents for any revelations they find in research.  Patents
> are granted by the federal govt for 17 years to encourage
> inventions/research by companies. Without patents to protect their
> findings, another company can copycat their work without having to
> spend all the money that the researcher had to spend. Bob -----

Good Morning Bob and All,

There was a precedent set earlier this year in Europe...

BERLIN, Germany -- A loophole in a controversial patent
that allowed human cloning has been closed, the European
Patent Office has said.
July 24, 2002 Posted: 1:41 PM EDT (1741 GMT)
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/07/24/cloning.patent/index.html

cheers ....... murray