Maybe...,

"...with our oldest back at college, and the younger kids back at school,
..."
but Dad's not going back to work and getting on with his life...    or
maybe...,

do you ever have that sinking feeling after a party you've hosted, or
when company or family have all been over, and you've spent the whole day
enjoying the distraction,  been mentally far away from all your troubles
even though your home..... and then, WHAM, everybody leaves, and there
you are, back in the middle of your grief, 'cause all of a sudden you
remember you have PD and it won't be gone after 10 days of
antibiotics....

And, as your subject suggests, September is a tough month for him, but
also for a lot of people--the summer is over, there is less sunlight,
which physiologically affects some people and results in depression--the
days grow shorter--like the song that says from May to
December--mimicking life's seasons?

Did you mention a schedule change now that the kids are back in school?
If he's staying in bed and not out getting sunlight before noon, it could
also affect his sleep cycle, and may make his depression worse.

You mention pinpointing the problem--it may be something you can
pinpoint, but it could be the sum total of several things that need
identification  IMH  .I do well on the antidepressant Zoloft, an SSRI.

Good luck to both of you--I hope you find a solution.

Charlotte