In a message dated 9/25/2002 7:34:17 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<   Dr. George Daley of the Whitehead Institute at Massachusetts Institute
of
 Technology said far fewer lines are available than the 78 cited by the
Bush
 administration, "perhaps only a handful." >>

I heard excerpts of these scientists' testimony from NPR. One pointed out
that since all existing cell lines use material from mouse cells as well as
human cells, for purposes of developing therapeutic interventions the number
of available cell lines is zero.

The extent to which restrictions have hobbled U.S. researchers is appalling.
I guess "American know-how" is considered better used for other purposes (not
all of which are exactly life-affirming).

Kathleen