Larry and all,

When a patient freezes --- have you tried having them walk
backwards?  (alone?  --- or "dancing"? --- or holding their
hand?)

We first witnessed this in the hospital in Chicago.  A young
person was there that had a rather advanced case of PD.  We got
to talking with him and his wife.

During the conversation the gentleman got up, turned around, and
walked backwards, with minimal difficulty,  across the waiting
room to the waste basket and dropped in his soft drink can.

He then turned around and walked backwards to his chair and sat
down.

We learned that he was a mechanic by trade.  He could not walk
forward without assistance but could walk anywhere he wanted
backwards.  He would walk backwards to his truck each morning and
then drive to work, walk backwards all day while on the job, then
repeat the procedure to get home.  Had been doing that for some
time.

Steve tried it.  It worked very well!  At home Steve could walk
backwards to the the stairs, then walk upstairs/downstairs
forward, then walk backwards again.

Someone questioned how PD patients can walk stairways but can not
walk forward.  The edge of the stair treads give the patient
something to step over to trigger the walking response.  In flat
areas there is no such guide.

For some reason, it seems that many PD patients have a better
sense of balance when going backward than when trying to go
forward.

One thing that may work in flat areas is the use of a "cane" with
a 4-5 inch angle on the bottom.  The patient can then hold the
cane in front of their foot to give them something to "step
over".

Just a couple of ideas from the past.

Paul