From: "supermario" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Important - STEM CELLS

> California Backs Embryonic Stem Cell Research
> Sun Sep 22, 7:01 PM ET
>
> SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - California Governor Gray Davis on Sunday
signed a bill backing controversial human embryonic stem cell research.

>                   Expanded Business Section!
>

>                   Check new areas for:
>                   Economy, Earnings, Markets and more...
>
>                   Business News
>

> "We are going to be the only state in the nation to say it is appropriate
for the state to embark on stem cell research and not limit it to adult stem
cells," the bill's author, state Senator Deborah Ortiz told a news
conference on Sunday.

> Last year President Bush ( news - web sites) placed restrictions on
federal funding for the research, which is opposed by a variety of groups --
including the Catholic Church.

> Stem cells are believed to have the capacity to change into numerous types
of cells and may hold out hope for treatments for an array of diseases from
Parkinson's to cancer.

> "As the country ages, I believe more and more Americans will see the value
stem cell research has in enhancing quality of the lives of the people they
love," Davis said after signing the bill, which becomes law on January 1,
2003.

> Opponents argue that creating a tiny embryo and keeping it alive only long
enough to harvest its cells constitutes murder. They said work with adult
stem cells, found in bone marrow and in various tissues, may be as
promising, although many scientists say both routes need to be followed.

> Davis was joined at a news conference by actor Christopher Reeve, best
known for his portrayal of "Superman" in a series of movies and Hollywood
producer Jerry Zucker.

> Reeve, paralyzed seven years ago when he was thrown from his horse, has
become a stem cell research activist along with Zucker, whose teenage
daughter has type one diabetes.

> The bill allows stem cells from any source to be used while making
research subject to a review and permitting process.

mailto:[log in to unmask]