I learned on Saturday that the Superwalks in British Columbia (on September 14th)
raised over $105,000, which is about 17% above last year's event. There was another
Superwalk taking place on Saturday, Sept. 28th, so we have again raised around
$10 per PWP!

Date:   Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:57:22 -0700
From:   "Murray Charters" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Re: Superwalks

Plain Text Attachment [ Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase  |  Download File ]

Good Morning Carole, Meg, SuperWalkers, and All...

SuperWalk for Parkinson’s raised nearly a million bucks
in Canada last year and will easily surpass that this year...

To put this into perspective... There are approx. 100,000
Canadians with Parkinson's so that is about $10 for each
Parkie raised by the people with Parkinson's in a single
coast to coast event...

In the US there are more than 1,000,000 Parkies so a
similar national walk could raise $10,000,000.00!

And... this essentially would constitute "new money", not
trying to get a bigger piece of the existing pie at the
"expense" of some other disorder...

here are the links...

SuperWalk for Parkinson’s
http://www.superwalk.com/main.html

Walking towards a cure... pledging to make a difference.

SuperWalk for Parkinson's is PSC's single-most important
national awareness and fundraising event. Through individual
and corporate pledges, the 2001 walk was the most
successful ever, raising over $925,000. The 2002 event
will take place this coming September in 60 sites across
Canada...
http://www.eldertreks.com/newsletters/may2002/maypark.html

Go out and walk, meet your family and friends on a sunny
Saturday morning in the park, raise funds...

SuperWalk is Win Win...

SuperWalk started in Ontario about 1991 and gradually grew...

I've walked in Stanley Park in Vancouver every year since 1995,
I think...

I know of some walks in the US already... (Unity Walk in NYC,
walk on the Mall in Washington DC,) but I think there is plenty of
room for a national US SuperWalk...

It's really up to you Meg, and you Carole, and you and you
and you... the people...

The ball is rolling... I will come down and walk... let's get this
done...

Some stories...

SuperWalk on Sept. 28 battles Parkinson's
http://www.simcoe.com/sc/barrie/story/584738p-717111c.html

Lloyd Stamp walks the walk in fight for Parkinson's cure
http://www.therecord.com/news/news_02090485734.html

Superwalk on Saturday helps raise funds for research
into Parkinson's disease...
http://www.guelphmercury.com/news/news_02092683120.html

Superwalk for Parkinson's battles crippling disease
http://www.mississauganews.com/mi/news/story/606879p-742011c.html

* * *

AND... in NYC...
The 2002 Parkinson's Unity Walk Raises More than $1,000,000!
http://www.unitywalk.org/

cheers ....... murray