Jeff and others

If the government can buy it at a lower cost and what they buy is good for
the public, let the government do it. I'm willing to pay my share of the
taxes.

I had an interesting set of transactions dealing with this exact point
recently:

I have PD and cardiac problems.  I had a couple of molars which had to come
out. The oral surgeon said he was afraid to remove the two molars in his
office.  He felt that the procedure should be done in a hospital setting
under a general anesthetic.  He said he felt it would be difficult to work
with  a moving target and that if a cardiac or other problem arose, it would
be safer in a hospital environment. He wrote a letter of medical necessity
citing those two reasons and the fact that I had trouble with anesthesia
before.

There was a big mix-up in the insurance. Medicare is primary and BlueCross
is secondary[excess]. Medicare does not pay for any costs associated with
dental work EXCEPT where there is a letter of medical necessity or there is
an accident. The hospital sent the bill to Medicare but put on the wrong
code. I paid the dental surgeon (partially with $$ from BlueCross dental
coverage). The anesthesiologist sent me a huge bill. I tried to find out why
there was no payment from insurance other than a small payment from the
dental part of BlueCross. It was then I found out about the code mix-up
between the hospital and Medicare. I paid the anesthesiologist what I
thought his bill should have been. His office wanted the whole thing and
turned my account over to a collection agency who really got nasty. I very
reluctantly paid what was demanded to keep my credit rating good. I paid him
a total of $440.00 for what was for him a few minutes work. Finally the
hospital and Medicare got together on the proper coding, and the
anesthesiologist was paid $283.36. Then the anesthesiologist had to give me
my $440.00 back. The anesthesiologist had effectively overcharged me $156.74
on what should have been a $283.36 bill.  His contract with Medicare and Blu
eCross requires him to accept their evaluation of what his charges should be
if he wants to be continue as a participating medical provider. He also had
to absorb whatever the collection agency charges were. Total hospital
charges were less than the deductible, so the final cost was covered by
BlueCross.   The anesthesiologist thought he could gouge me on his bill, but
my government made him accept reasonable payment for his services.

In years gone by the medical professions often played "Robin Hood,"
overcharging the rich and undercharging the poor.  Today the reverse is
often true.