Good Morning Jeff, Carole, Meg, and All,

I gave this plenty of thought....

A huge effort and infrastructure would be required,
duplicating everything that is already in place....

Oh, I know... there isn't a National Coast to Coast
US combined single entity...

But there are several very successful events...

Which we could support... and make BIGGER...

Check this single event...

The Parkinson Unity Walk (PUW)

The PUW, and other similar organizations, are crucial
to funding research to find a cure for PD. The Walk is
a cooperative venture—so much so that "unity" is the
event’s middle name. Net proceeds from the Unity Walk
support the following major U.S. Parkinson’s foundations:

American Parkinson’s Disease Association (APDA)
National Parkinson Foundation (NPF)
Parkinson’s Action Network
Parkinson’s Disease Foundation (PDF)
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
The Parkinson Alliance
The Parkinson’s Institute

All net contributed funds to the PUW are used by these
organizations to fund and promote research. Expenses
are funded by sponsors, including: corporations (such as
pharmaceutical, financial, real estate, oil companies);
research foundations; philanthropic organizations;
and miscellaneous caring donors.

(foregoing excerpted from...)
http://www.unitywalk.org/whatis.shtml

check these sites and read about what is in place!

Parkinson’s Unity Walk Raises More Than $1 Million
6,000 Participants Generate Record-Setting Figure
Parkinson’s Unity Walk began nine years ago
when 200 friends, family members and fellow Parkinson’s
patients joined Zobel.
http://www.unitywalk.org/press_release1.shtml

Margot Zobel, Founder of the Parkinson's Unity Walk
Speech given April 14, 2002
http://www.unitywalk.org/speech.shtml

Parkinson's Unity Walk 2003
Welcome to Our New Online Participation Page
http://www.unitywalk.org/index2.html

Let's focus on the existing events...

Carole... APDA is running in your state...
The APDA Walk-a-thon is the largest grassroots fundraiser
in the world dedicated to Parkinson's disease research.
Expenses are kept at a minimum, so 100% of the money
sent to the national office is used for research.
The Walk-a-thon is also the only fundraiser where the
entire net proceeds are sent to the national office.
Many individuals who do not regularly donate to APDA
take this opportunity to directly fund research into the
cause and cure for Parkinson's disease.
http://www.apdaparkinson.com/howwalk.htm

walkin' in Manchester, CT Oct. 6th.
and in Cockaponset State Forest, CT Oct. 20th.
http://www.apdaparkinson.com/howwalk.htm

8th Annual Cockaponset Trail Race
http://www.chesterct.com/cockaponset.html

and... if you live in New Mexico...
Join and Support Tom Berdine
The  Young Onset Parkinson's Association
and The American Parkinson's Disease Association
present 1st Annual Southwest Regional Parkinson's Disease Conference
and 1st Annual Young Onset Parkinson's Disease Awareness Walk
October 11-12 2002 Albuquerque, NM
http://www.youngparkinsons.com/symposium.htm

and if you're really ambitious...
Founded by Mary Yost three years ago, Team Parkinson
set a new record by raising over $90,000 at the 2002
LA Marathon!

Team Parkinson 2003
http://www.teamparkinsonla.org/home.htm

Sooo... Let's make Parkinson's Unity Walk in NYC
go to $2,000,000 in 2002... Margot & Ken won't mind!

and Team Parkinson to $180,000... Mary 'n John 'n Edna
wouldn't object to that...
(or to the Boston Marathon as well?)

and find out more about APDA Walk-A-Thon
and support doubling their goals...

Didja know APDA Walk-A-Thon have a 15 year history
in Rhode Island?  and maybe more elsewhere...

This is where we can help instantly...

Let's promote awareness of the existing events
that are only there through YEARS of dedication
and hard work...

So, let's NOT reinvent the "wheel"...

Can we have a coast to coast national US walk?
Maybe... there is a merger of PDF and NPF that
is taking place over the months ahead...

And I know PDF and Parkinson's Alliance have a
very sound working relationship...

Let's first find out (as Meg Duggan has) if there
is an existing walk in our area... and then act accordingly...

Let's attend our own area walk, let's volunteer, etc.

YES, this CAN BE DONE!

cheers ... murray