Margaret, we have been assessing student proficiency in writing as they enter
Huron University College, and just before they graduate.  This assessment has
been administered for four years now, so that the graduates this past year also
wrote the assessment in their first year.  The findings indicate that students
who come in with good writing skills generally go into the honours programmes
and those with poorer skills go into the general three year programmes.  Those
in the general programme who graduate after four years tend to have better
skills than those who graduate after only three.  While all three groups make
progress in their writing skills, no one group makes great progress.  The three
year students, for example move from an average score of "2.6" on the essay to
"3" out of "5", and the honours students move from "3" to "3.2".  The most
telling indicator is number of grammar errors.  The three year students have an
average of 38 errors on the two writing assignments (essay and summary of an
assigned reading).  They graduate with an average of 33 errors per paper.  The
honours students have 22 errors per paper when they arrive at Huron, and
graduate with an average of 19 errors.  Most of the paired t-tests showed that
there are significant differences on an individual basis, and that the
differences in performance increase with the number of years that students
remain in the college.    What this tells us is that students in three year
general programmes don't make a lot of progress in writing through their time
at the college.  Since we have no writing courses, and our writing centre only
offers about 20 hours per week of instruction hours, I would like to interpret
this as meaning that Writing Centres and Writing Courses may help these
students increase their skills.  This increase in skills may encourage them to
stay on and do either a four year degree or an honours degree.   I can send you
the whole report or just the conclusions, if you like.