CFP: THEATRE OF WORLD – THE WORLD OF THEATRE
Drama and theatre in Europe until the 19th century

5th international conference on European drama- and theatre
history in Eger (Hungary)

The Research Group for the Old Hungarian Drama (Hungarian
Academy of Sciences) will organise the 5th meeting of
scholars of European drama- and theatre history in Eger
between 25-27th August, 2003.

The main aim of the conference is to examine the relations
between the European and Hungarian drama history, how were
Hungarian dramas, theatre occasions segments of the
European tradition. On the other hand, we would like to
find the links between the Hungarian and other Central-
European (e.g. German, Austrian, Slavonic, Czech, Romanian,
etc.) theatre- and drama-tradition, finally we would like
to show the dramas and theatre occasions from the Middle
Ages to the 19th century in Hungary.

Topics explored may include:

1.Drama-theme catalogue
a.methods of making this catalogue
b.Drama themes in the Catholic tradition (e.g. Jesuit,
Franciscan, Piarist, etc. dramas)
c.Drama themes in the Protestant schools

2.Sources, social background
a.(text)books and school dramas
b.theological background of the dramas
c.literature sociological questions in drama research
d.cultural anthropological questions in the research of
European drama tradition
e.Theatre in the iconology – pictures of theatre in the
contemporary editions, iconological influences to dramatic
scenes
f.Drama theory – drama practice
g.Folklore, history of music, school drama

3.Documents of dramas
a.Secrets of drama-manuscripts, Historiae Domus – what we
can know only by philological work
b.Printed documents
c.Modern philological researches in Hungary and abroad –
(critical) text editions, data bases, uses of sources
d.Scenic, dramaturgy

Conference website:
http://members.chello.hu/kcsp/sat/konfang/

You can find more useful information about our research
group, conferences, programs at
www.gradatio.hu/schooltheatre

If you have any questions, I wait for your e-mails,

Regards,

Júlia Nagy
Miskolc University, Hungary
Dep. of Enlightenment and 19th Century Literature in Hungary
e-mail: [log in to unmask]