From: Michael Winkelman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 October 2002 17:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Henry VIII as playgoer?

Dear REEDers:
  I'm writing on Tudor political drama & I remember once coming
across an account of Henry VIII riding, perhaps overnight,
perhaps two nights in a row, to see a play of some sort.
My even fainter memory associates this event with John Bale,
but whether the King was going to see a work by the bilious
agitprop maker or if it's simply recounted in a book or
essay pertaining to Bale, I don't recall.
If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to get
a reference, either to the primary account or a mention
in modern scholarship.
Thanks,
Michael Winkelman,
visiting assistant professor of English