Hi Fred, hello to everyone,
My name is Neal Weiner, I live in Maine, and I'm also
a member of this very special club.
I, too, have been reading the list for several weeks.
I think it's time to throw in my 2 cents worth.
I'm 49, married, two kids in college, working
fulltime.

My PD symptoms started with very subtle gait & balance
changes in Aug 2001. Progression was slow for 4 mos,
then my condition started to slide downhill faster for
the next 3 mos while my personal doctor explored every
other possibility in the universe. Can't fault him for
trying. When everything else checked out ok, I went to
the various PD websites, and read the symptom list. I
had everything except tremor: stiffness (esp in lt
leg), rigidity, increasing facial mask, decreasing
speech volume, incredible resistance to movement, and
overwhelming fatigue. I ran the symptom list past my
doc, and he ran me to a neuro, who clinched the
diagnosis. By then, I was in very tough shape,
probably a 1-2 on my personal wellbeing scale of 0-10
(0=block of concrete, 10=perfect health). The neuro
started me on Requip (ropinirole), and told me it
would take 6 weeks before I felt better. I thought to
myself: 6 weeks?! I'm gonna be disabled & bedridden in
1!!

So then I contacted this acupuncturist in Portland,
ME. He's a Chinese MD, trained in orthopedic surgery
and traditional chinese medicine. He said he could
treat PD symptoms. Within the 1st week, after two
sessions, he increased my arm and leg strength, and
hand dexterity. I told him that I was still reeling
with fatigue by mid-day, so he strongly suggested a
commercially prepared chinese herbal medicine. I
thought: this sounds like voodoo, and I doubt it, but
I'll try it. Took 5 pills, 3 times/day. Three days
later, to my un-ending astonishment, I realized that I
had as much energy at the end of the day as I started
off with. The acupuncture and chinese herbal meds got
me to an 8 out of 10, in 3-4 wks, well before the
Requip kicked in.

It's been 7 mos since starting Requip, acupuncture,
and chinese herbal meds. I take a very extensive
commercial vit/min/herbal/anti-ox supplement. I feel
good enough to exercise again--treadmill & weights.
I'm on 4 mg Requip 3 times/day. Acupuncture every 4-5
days. Chinese herbal meds--5 pills, 3 times/day. I
make sure I get at least 8 hrs of sleep: if I'm tired,
all symptoms are worse. I test myself periodically by
skipping acupuncture for at least a week, to see where
the Requip stabilizes me. I would say Requip presently
keeps me at a 7-8, and the acupuncture boosts me to
8-9, out of 10.

Sorry for the lengthy letter. Maybe some of this info
can help someone else. I'll answer specific questions.
Thanks for your support. I count my blessings each
day.

--Neal, aka The Pincushion