WTHR
Parkinson's surgery gives single mother hope
Mark Clegg / Eyewitness News

Indianapolis, October 2, 2002 - It's a movement disorder
that reaches far and wide -- from Janet Reno -- to actor
Michael J. Fox -- even Marion county prosecutor
Scott Newman. And in a little home in Greenfield,
all decorated with fun for Halloween, there's Lisa Francis.
She's 37. And for the past eleven years, Parkinson's
disease robbed a little bit of her life each year.

"Some days I can't even dress myself," Francis says.
"It's taken my livelihood basically."

Parkinson's attacks the body's central nervous system.,
causing uncontrollable shaking.

"Sometimes I can't even crawl," Francis says. "I have to
just lay there. It feels like a Charlie horse all through
my body."

A single mother of three, Lisa can't afford much
down time. She opted for a fairly new life altering
brain surgery on the advice of her doctor.

Dr. Joanne Wozcieszek explains, "They put a bure
hole in the brain/skull and they put an electrode deep
into this route."

Parkinson's leads to an overreaction in a portion
of the brain, which causes debilitating side effects
like shaking and slurred speech. Successful surgery
can cut those in half, according to Wozcieszek,
"If you put an electrode right next to it, it will block
the over active output of the nucleus and so
the electrical stimulation doesn't stimulate the brain.
It actually blocks the output of an abnormally
overactive area."

The complicated explanation aside, when
Eyewitness News visited Lisa Monday night,
the thought of undergoing brain surgery left her
obviously on edge. "I'm worried about being
the same person," she explained, "about if I'm
still going to have to crawl sometimes."

But as she does her best to not just spend time
with her boys, but interact with them and care
for them like every mother wants to.

It's a risk she hopes will be worth it.

SOURCE: WTHR Eyewitness News
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=958946