Deb,
This is only my first year into the program so I am still working on
very basic stuff.  I am sorry, I wish I could give you some advice to
help your situation, but I am not advanced enough.  However, if I come
across a website that has information regarding this subject or one
where you can ask for a doctor's opinion..I will definately let you
know.
Wish I could be more help,
Julie

Deb White wrote:

>My father has had PD for 27 years.  He worked full time up until 12
years
>ago and has probably taken every medication for PD and the accompanying
side
>effects, both low (syncope episodes) and high blood pressure.  He's had
>aspiration pneumonia several times over the last few years.  He
aspirated
>two weeks ago and went into atrial fib. while the ER was suctioning him.
>Swallowing eval. suggest that there was mild transient penetration with
thin
>liquids given by spoon.  To ward off further aspirations and because my
>father is now 2+ years in a nursing facility, it would take one on one
>feeding and assist with drinking to supply him with enough nutrients to
>continue to fight the PD.  We will have one more swallowing eval. on
Friday,
>10/4/02 and then we will decide if we need to go forth with a G-tube on
>Monday, October 7.  We understand that he can continue to have thick-it
>liquids and pureed foods when he would like.  He has agreed to the
>procedure.  I feel that if he had a Pulmonary Therapist come by and
check
>him every other day he would be alright--use chest percussion when the
lungs
>do not sound "right".  Any comments or assistance would be much
appreciated.

>Deb White
>Boston, MA

>To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: