Hello everyone!  My name is Julie and I joined this mailing list about
3 weeks ago.  I wanted to read some passages first and become
comfortable before I sent any e-mails.  I must say, I have enjoyed
reading what everyone has had to say.  I have never been a part of a
mailing list like this, and I am surprised at how supportive everyone
is.
Well I guess I should say a little bit about myself.  I am a junior in
college.  My major is communication disorders, and although I have more
than a couple years left in school, I am very excited to be done and
start working with people as a speech-language pathologist.
I do not have Parkinson's disease, but in one of my classes I am doing
research on PD and how it affects speech & that is why I joined your
mailing list.  I chose to do research on Parkinson's disease because I
have heard a lot about the disease and would like to know
more..obviously:).  My grandfather has it, so I have seen the way his
life has changed.  It started out with his hands tremmoring--I can
remember that happening when I was a young girl.  As time went on
things got worse and more symptoms appeared.  It was very surprising to
me because people had just explained to me that PD caused this hand
tremor & the explanation ended there.  I did not know all these other
symptoms followed.  As I grew up, I became more informed about it and
started to realize how serious it was.  I have read a little bit about
it in some of my classes, but not a lot of information was covered.
Now, since we were allowed to chose our own topic, I decided to
research Parkinson's disease.  It will be very helpful to me when I
start working & will also teach me more about what my grandfather is
going through.
I just wanted to let you know a little bit about myself...hope I
haven't bored you.  Please forgive me if I do not reply or send a lot
of e-mails.  It is not because I am not interested, I just do not know
what you all are going through(& probably won't no matter how much
research I do). However, I really enjoy reading what you have to say.
Thanks for your time!!!
Julie:)