The Guelph Mercury

TORONTO (CP) - Thirty-six years after his classic bout
with Muhammad Ali, George Chuvalo has answered the bell
to honour the legendary former boxing champion.

Chuvalo, WBC world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis
and former champions Evander Holyfield and Larry Holmes
will all be at SkyDome on Oct. 20 to pay tribute to Ali and
participate in a fundraiser for the Parkinson Society
of Canada. The event will take place when the Toronto
Argonauts tackle the Ottawa Renegades. Chuvalo originally
had plans for Oct. 20 but abruptly changed them
when asked by the Argos to share the stage with Ali
once again.

"I think I kind of represent Canada and Toronto so it's
only natural I would be there," Chuvalo said during a news
conference at the Canadian Boxing Hall of Fame.
"It doesn't make sense for me not to be there."

Ali, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, was not
at Monday's gathering.

Ali fought Chuvalo at Maple Leaf Gardens on March 29,
1966. Chuvalo, who was the Canadian heavyweight
champion at the time, lost but went the distance in a bout
Ali called one of his toughest.

The two also fought in Vancouver in 1972 with Ali winning
in a 12-round decision.

"It will be like a family get-together, it will be nice,"
Chuvalo said of the gathering of present and former
boxing champs. "And we're all here to pay tribute
to Muhammad, who is a great person and it seems is
the most popular person on earth.

"It's going to be a fun day and it's all for a great cause
so how can you go wrong?"

Lewis, who lived in Kitchener, Ont., when he won Olympic
gold for Canada in 1988, will be making his first public
appearance since beating Mike Tyson on June 8 to retain
the WBC and IBF crowns. Lewis, a native of London now
fighting for England, has since surrendered the IBF belt.

Toronto Raptors centre Hakeem Olajuwon, Toronto Maple
Leafs captain Mats Sundin and Olympic champion
wrestler Daniel Igali will also participate in the event.

As well, entertainer Tom Cochrane will premiere a new
song about Ali.

Argos marketing consultant Garth Drabinsky wouldn't say
how tickets sales for the Oct. 20 game are going.
But he's hopeful Ali will attract a sellout crowd of 50,000
to SkyDome.

"The public is going to have a chance to interface
with the greatest iconic figure of the 20th century
and at the same time see how he is perceived
by this group of historic men," Drabinsky said.
"I don't know how you make a more emotional halftime
tribute than that.

"And we're not finished yet. I would think there would be
at least another five or six hugely significant luminaries
who will be part of this fabulous tribute that day."

Each game ticket will include a $10 surcharge
that will be donated to the Parkinson's Society of Canada.
Researchers at the University of Toronto will also share
in the proceeds.

Each ticket-holder will receive a limited-edition poster
upon exiting the stadium. Prior to the contest,
ticket-holders will be shown documentary footage
on the life of Ali. There will be a pre-game program
and a halftime tribute that will conclude with the midfield
presentation to Ali.

"This is something that every sports franchise should
get into and I'm happy to do this," said Argos owner
Sherwood Schwarz. "To get Muhammad Ali is incredible
because his appearances are so infrequent.

"I hope the fans and the population of Toronto comes out
to show their appreciation."

Bringing in Ali, 60, is the latest in a series of high-profile
promotions by Drabinsky.

The former entertainment mogul has helped boost
the Argos' average attendance to about 20,000 this season
from the fewer than 16,000 spectators last year,
even though the team is 5-9-0-0.

But this is different than Drabinsky's other publicity
moves, which have included halftime performances
by Amanda Marshall, Shaggy and skateboard superstar
Tony Hawk.

Bringing in Ali not only helps the Argos but also raises
awareness for Parkinson's, which Drabinsky said affects
nearly 100,000 Canadians.

"I want to believe that we are going to be sold out
that game," Drabinsky said. "I want to believe it's
going to happen.

"I want to believe it because it's for Parkinson's,
it's for Ali."

Telephone and online donations will be encouraged
with segments of documentary Ali footage shown
on TSN and CBC football broadcasts starting Oct. 18.

The clips will run all weekend through the end
of the Argos-Renegades game, which will be broadcast
on TSN. During the contest, an area in the lower
stadium stands at midfield will be reserved for
special guests to answer phones and take pledge calls
from across the country.

SOURCE: The Canadian Press / The Guelph Mercury
http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports/s093075A.html

* * *