Maggie Mauney wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just been diagnosed with PD last week, and I have some questions about
> what to expect.
>
> I developed a tremor in my left hand about 6 months ago; also, my balance
> has been off for several years, and within the last few months I've begun to
> have problems with stumbling when I walk, falling (or almost falling) often.
> Are all these symptoms of PD?  Also, what about pain?  I've had severe pain
> in my left forearm (the same side with the tremor), and it feels like muscle
> sprain--but just won't get better.  OFten, when I'm resting and not using my
> arm, the throbbing is terrible--and lifting heavy items is very painful.
> I've also been choking more lately.  Are these PD problems?  If so, any
> predictions on what I can expect my future to bring--predictions on the
> progression of the PD?
>
> I've just started taking Mirapex, and am on a low dosage now.  I've not
> noticed any change on the Mirapex--no side effects either.  Any of you
> familiar with MIrapex?
>
> I live alone way out in the country, and to be honest I'm afraid now of
> falling at home sometime and not being able to get up.  Now it's almost
> impossible to get up when I'm sitting in a chair, unless I  have some way to
> pull myself up.  And I fear choking on food when I'm alone.  Any
> suggestions?  Or am I worrying too much?
>
> Any input on what I can expect would be appreciated.
>
> Maggie Mauney

Dear Maggie,
Pain such as you describe can occur with PD, also the choking and
imbalance. However, you have barely begun use of Mirapex, and it can
take several weeks to increase the dosage up to an amount sufficient to
control PD symptoms. It needs to be titrated gradually, to allow the
body to adjust, but the small initial amount is not enough to control PD.

So do not worry at this point -- give it a couple of months. However,
meantime, I would certainly ask your doctor to refer you to a speech
pathologist for a swallowing evaluation. Choking can be a real concern,
and the speech pathologist can determine whether you are at risk, and
can show you safe swallowing techniques.

You are in the best possible company on this list -- there are many
wonderful, caring, and experienced people who can, and will, help.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD