-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Randy Buss
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 3:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Joining the List

Fred,
Welcome!  I am 48 years old with 2 children, not quite teens.  I have
been diagnosed for 5 years.  Don't give up!

Two years ago, I started taekwondo.  My neuro wanted me to take tai chi,
but since I live in the middle of "nowhere", I started formal taekwondo
training  instead. I use a tai chi tape almost every morning, but the
classes I attend (with my children) have been a blessing.  I have
reduced my medication, almost by half, still maintain all functions and
have earned a black belt.  My neuro supports me whole heartedly,
claiming that studies substantiate the role of martial arts training in
the delay of debilitating symptoms.

First of all, find a good neuro.  The first thing my neuro said was "We
tailor the meds to fit the patient, not the patient to the meds."  This
after 6 or 8 doctors who didn't have a clue!

Then, exercise!  The adage, "Use it or lose it." must have been stated
by a parkie.

Do not give up or in!  There is hope!

Sue
48, and still kicking!