  From: Neil Shook [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
  Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 10:04 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Swallowing/Talking/Breathing

  Dear Deb,
       I have been diagnosed with PD twelve years ago and have had deep
brain stimulation two years ago.  It was a success and has eliminated alot
of dystonia pain and dyskinesia, but I can tell it is progressing at a fast
pace. What bothers me most is the gagging at the dinner table--can't
swallow, can't talk, and, ultimately, can't breathe because I'm so scared
when bread gets stuck in my throat.  Any information or exercises for the
throat would be greatly appreciated.  Paula from Pennsylvania