I'm sure by now we are all aware of the exciting clinical trial results
announced today about CoEnzyme Q10

 On tonights evening news  Tom Brokaw gave the typical media report about
 the newest "miracle treatment for PD" and as he pointed out  - it
doesn't involve the controversial  use of stem cells. He did not however
point out that this is a treatment that may slow progression - but it is
not a cure. He also did not report that the study - while very hopeful
indeed, included only patients in the earliest stages who were not taking
Sinemet yet. But he conveyed great hope and optimism about the treatment.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and am taking Sinemet - but it's worth trying
i thought - i'll go to the drug store and buy a bottle of  CoE Q10 and
start taking it right away.

But wait!

In my email I just received a copy of the press release from VitaLine,
the company that produces and donated the COEnzyme Q wafers used in the
clinical trials.They state in their press release that only their product
has been proven safe and effective. Other brands may even be harmful.
They give their website and phone number for easy ordering.

Press Release:
BW2390  OCT 14,2002 / 13:00 PACIFIC / 16:00 EASTERN
( BW)(WI-VITALINE-FORMULARY) Researchers Find Vitaline
CoQ10 Slows Progression of Parkinson's Disease by Close
to 45 Percent; -- NIH Fast-Tracks Third-Phase Research --

Health/Medical Writers

GREEN BAY, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 14, 2002--
"The estimated 1.5 million Americans who suffer from
Parkinson's Disease have new hope, according to an
article published this month in the Archives of Neurology.

Research sponsored by the National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke found 1200 mg. daily
of Vitaline CoQ10, a nutritional supplement with three
patents pending, slowed the progression of Parkinson's
Disease 44 percent.

Vitaline CoQ10 has been the subject of more than 20
research studies, review articles, and abstract
presentations. Vitaline CoQ10 is especially attractive
because it is safe in high dosages and has been proven
to penetrate the cell. It is the only CoQ10 of the
hundreds on the market to meet both these criteria."

... Recently, researchers from Harvard Medical
School found Vitaline CoQ10 successfully
crosses the blood-brain barrier to enter and
increase the amount of CoQ10 in the cell
mitochondria. Vitaline CoQ10 is unique for this
reason, as no other CoQ10 has been proven
to do this.

Vitaline CoQ10 has a unique and proprietary
formula, delivery mechanism and manufacturing
process, for which it has developed multiple
patents pending. Other CoQ10-containing products
have not been proven safe, tolerable or effective.
Many readily available CoQ10-containing products
contain ingredients which are harmful at the
high doses used in the clinical research."

SOURCE: Business Wire
http://www.businesswire.com

 --- OK i thought - i'll buy the VitaLine product just to be sure.

BUT WAIT!

I just received another  email with  the abstract of this study published
in :
ARchives of Neurology
  Vol. 59 No. 10,October 2002
Effects of Coenzyme Q10 in Early Parkinson Disease
Evidence of Slowing of the Functional Decline

The conclusions of the researchers were much more limited than those
suggested by the TV news report or VitaLine, and did not recommend one
brand over another. (The abstract  is available online at
http://archneur.ama-assn.org/issues/v59n10/abs/noc20145.html  )

The researchers concluded that:
 " Coenzyme Q10 was safe and well tolerated at dosages of up to 1200
mg/d. Less disability developed in subjects assigned to coenzyme Q10 than
in those assigned to placebo, and the benefit was greatest in subjects
receiving the highest dosage. Coenzyme Q10 appears to slow the
progressive deterioration of function in PD, but these results need to be
confirmed in a larger study."

OK i thought - i'll ask my friendly pharmacists which brand they
recommend, realizing that CoEnzyme Q10 is considedred a dietary
supplement - not a prescription drug, and therefore won't be covered by
our health insurance. I know its not a "miracle cure" , but if it slows
the progression of my PD - i should take it no matter how much it costs!

But Wait!

I checked my email again and found yet another press release - this one
from the NINDS :

Study Suggests Coenzyme Q10 Slows Functional Decline
in Parkinson's Disease
For release: Monday, October 14, 2002

"Results of the first placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical
trial of the compound coenzyme Q10 suggest that it can
slow disease progression in patients with early-stage
Parkinson's disease (PD). While the results must be
confirmed in a larger study, they provide hope that this
compound may ultimately provide a new way of treating
PD."

Sounds very promising  -- BUT WAIT!!!

The NINDS also warns:

"..Dr. Shults and his colleagues strongly caution
patients against taking coenzyme Q10 until a
larger, definitive trial can be conducted.

Because coenzyme Q10 is classified as a dietary
supplement, it is not regulated by the U.S. Food
and Drug Administration. The versions of the
supplement sold in stores may differ, they may not
contain potentially beneficial amounts of the
compound, and taking coenzyme Q10 over a
number of years may be costly, says Dr. Shults.
In addition, the current study included only
a small number of patients, and the findings
may not extend to people in later stages of PD
or to those who are at risk but have not been
diagnosed with the disorder, he notes."

AND
" Finally,
if many people begin taking coenzyme Q10
because of these early results, it might make it
impossible for investigators to find enough
patients to carry out definitive studies
of the compound's effectiveness and the
proper dosages, since patients must not be
taking any treatments in order to be considered
for enrollment in a definitive trial.

The investigators are now planning a larger
clinical trial that will examine the effects
of 1,200 mg/day of coenzyme Q10, and possibly
a higher dose as well, in a larger number of patients..."

I think the NINDS better speak to Tom Brokaw  :(

Linda