Date sent:              Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:25:07 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Deb White <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Ritalin?  Lifeless, Lethargic,
                Sleeping Most of Time - My Dad Has Parkinson's Too
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> My question:  have any of you taken Ritalin to offset the side effects
> of the Parkinson's meds and other meds?  If so, how did it affect you?
>  My father, who was walking until six months ago (and dancing last
> October), is very down because he sleeps so much and is missing much
> of the days again.
>
> Any help on this one would be appreciated.

What is it about this time of year and Ritalin?  It has come up on
several other Lists (dealing with brain tumors) as a panacea for
lethargy, etc.

The use of Ritalin and similar stimulants (all of which are related
to "speed" and the amphetamines) in treating such alleged conditions
as ADD/ADHD (which many of us feel are "non-diseases") is rampant
among our schoolchildren.  But, in the case of people will brain-
related illnesses such as Parkinson's and brain tumors, it is sheer
folly to use such drugs.  It is truly beating a very sick horse.

I have a ton of literature on the dangers of these drugs and their
abuse potential.  I cannot send that information to individuals, it
would take too much time. I cannot post attachments to the List
because it is not permitted (for good reason).  If any member of the
List Administration can supply me with an address to which to send
the files (there are about 7 files which are zipped together into two
ZIP files), I will upload them.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"