Brightline,
You ask some very good questions. Hope answers will be forthcoming.
The point of my "CoEnzyme Q10 Blues" was that from 4 different sources we
received 4  different views on the study. I t appears the news reporters
based their reports on Vitaline's press release. If they had read the
actual jourrnal article in Archives of Neurology , they would have found
that the researchers'  conclusions were :

"In our study, coenzyme Q10 treatment at high dosages was safe and well
tolerated and reduced the worsening of PD, as reflected in the total
UPDRS score. It would be premature to recommend the use of coenzyme Q10
for the treatment of PD. Our results need to be confirmed in a larger,
phase 3 study, and the appropriate dosage and the magnitude of effect
need to be better defined."

Additionally the only mention in the journal article about Vitaline is
that they donated the wafers for the study.
I checked Vitaline's web site, where they offer a "special rate" to PD
patients ----
"Each bottle of Vitaline CoQ10 contains 60 300mg chewable wafers, and is
offered at $100 (compare to an expected retail price of $240 per bottle)
One bottle is the equivalent of a one month supply of Vitaline CoQ10 at
600mg/day
Two bottles is the equivalent of a one month supply of Vitaline CoQ10 at
1200mg/day"

Another press release was isssued today by Emory University.
One of the researchers -Dr. Watts  put the trial results  in
perspective, sttating,
"We are very encouraged with the results
of this small trial, which consisted of 80
Parkinson's patients nationwide. However,
a larger, multi-centered, controlled trial
is still needed before this treatment can be
recommended to patients with a high degree
of certainty."
"This is a very important study with positive
results for Parkinson's patients," says Dr. Watts,
a world-renowned Parkinson's disease researcher.

"But we are not at the stage yet where we feel
comfortable telling patients to go to their local
health food store and purchase coenzyme Q10
as a treatment for the disease. Right now,
we know this study shows vitamin-type therapy
may slow the progression of movement and motor disabilities associated
with the disease,
but more studies are needed to determine the
true effects of the compound. Emory will be
involved in some larger coenzyme Q10 studies
in the near future, in hopes of finding out these
specific effects."
 The full press release - found by Murray Charters - is at
 EurekAlert
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-10/euhs-lss100902.php

Also see the NY Times article he posted  this morning about the lack of
regulation for dietary supplements -"It's on the Label, But in the
Tablet?"

I think we should remain hopeful - a number of  positive research results
have been announced in the past week - we are surely getting closer.
Linda