The Globe and Mail

Drabinsky's concept hopes to stir passion
By MICHAEL GRANGE

Friday, October 18, 2002 – Page S1

TORONTO -- Never a man of modest goals,
Garth Drabinsky has a vision for Sunday's
tribute to Muhammad Ali, an unlikely idea
that he has nurtured from seed to fruit
in barely two months. It is based on seeing
Ali light the Olympic torch
at the 1996 Games in Atlanta.

"I was moved to tears that night when
Muhammad Ali was handed the torch,"
said Drabinsky, the theatre and film producer
who is now the Toronto Argonauts' marketing
consultant. "I'll never forget that evening
and I want the emotion of that moment
to be felt in the [SkyDome] Sunday."

It would seem a stretch for a halftime show
in a regular-season Canadian Football League
game between Toronto and the Ottawa
Renegades to compare to one of the most
memorable moments in recent sports history.

But then again, Drabinsky has already exceeded
most expectations -- except, possibly, his own
-- in putting together a star-studded tribute
to the former champion as a fundraiser
for the Parkinson Society Canada.

Not only is Ali going to be on hand
for the halftime ceremony,
he will be accompanied by a who's who
of sports celebrities, including fellow boxing greats
Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Larry Holmes
and George Chuvalo; National Basketball
Association star Hakeem Olajuwon;
Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin;
gold-medalist wrestler Daniel Igali;
world champion figure skater Elvis Stojko
and former CFL and National Football League
star Warren Moon.

So far, the Argos said about 15,000 tickets
have been sold, in what could be the 60-year-old
Ali's last Canadian appearance.

"It will all depend on the walk-up for the next
three days," said Drabinsky, who is predicting
a crowd of as much as 30,000. "It's typically
huge for these kinds of things. Don't worry,
people will be there."

Earlier this season, the Argonauts drew 23,000
to a game at which skateboard legend Tony Hawk
gave an exhibition.

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton will begin
the tribute with a taped introduction. Telephone
pledges and on-line donations will be accepted
for the charity throughout the weekend.

TSN will broadcast the game and will show
the halftime tribute in its entirety.

"I've done things like this in film and theatre,"
said Drabinsky, who co- founded the movie giant
Cineplex Odeon Corp., and the theatre production
company Livent Inc. "But I've never done anything
like this in sports, not to this degree."

Few have. "We wanted to do something
from a charitable perspective," Drabinsky said,
"and I thought the answer was Muhammad Ali
and Parkinson's.

The first hurdle was securing an appearance
by Ali, one of the most famous men on the planet,
and someone whose time has been more
in demand since he was the subject of Ali,
the film biography starring Will Smith
that was released last year.

Drabinsky was able to reach the Ali camp
through Coca-Cola Ltd., since the former champion
has a marketing relationship with the Atlanta-based
soft drink company.

Ali has Parkinson's disease, a degenerative
neurological condition that affects nearly 100,000
Canadians. Once he was assured that Sunday's
event was tied to Parkinson's fundraising
and research, Ali agreed to make the appearance.

The next task was lining up stars to salute him.
Much of the heavy lifting -- and pleading and cajoling
and phone calling -- was handled by 25-year-old
Jeff Goldenberg, a Drabinsky protégé who has been
responsible for a string of Argonauts marketing
projects this year.

"It's been part marketing, part promoting,
and part private investigating to find out how
to get to these people," said Goldenberg,
who could only offer to cover the guest's
travel expenses and accommodations.
"But the name Muhammad Ali cuts though
a lot of layers.

"The hardest person to reach was
[heavyweight champion] Lennox Lewis.
He spends a lot of time in a lot of different
places. He was in Africa when I first tried
to reach him, and he's based out of the UK."

Sundin and Holmes were reached
with the help of sports marketing giant
IMG Canada, while Holyfield is also aligned
with Coca-Cola. But some of the cast heard
about the event and simply wanted to be
a part of it. "Elvis Stojko called us
and said he just had to be involved,"
Goldenberg said. "He's a huge Ali fan."

SOURCE: The Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/PEstory/TGAM/200210
18/SFOTO/Headlines/headdex/headdexSports_temp/4/4/26/

* * *