--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: E-MOVE <[log in to unmask]>
To: E-MOVE <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:22:29 GMT
Subject: Long-Term Hardware Complications of Deep Brain Stimulation

Long-term hardware-related complications of deep brain stimulation
MY Oh, A Abosch, SH Kim, AE Lang, AM Lozano
Neurosurgery, 2002;50:1268-1276

Hardware-related complications occurred in one quarter of patients with
implanted DBS electrodes in this long-term follow-up study.

A retrospective chart review was conducted for 84 consecutive patients
(53 PD, 9 ET, 12 other diagnoses)  treated at a single center by a single
surgeon over 6 years. Four patients did not receive implanted electrodes
due to lack of benefit during trial stimulation, and one did not due to
intraoperative hemorrhage. In the remaining 79 patients, 124 electrodes
were implanted. Minimum follow-up was 12 months, and the mean follow-up
was 33 months. Twenty patients had 26 hardware-related complications,
involving 23 electrodes. There were 4 lead fractures, 4 lead migrations,
3 short- or open circuits, 12 erosions and/or infections, 2 foreign-body
reactions, and 1 CSF leak. Twenty-nine additional procedures were
required to address these complications.

The authors note, “Unlike lesioning procedures, in which complications
would be evident early in the operation, the potential for
hardware-related complications of DBS continue as long as the system
remains implanted. In our study, the mean time to complication was 10
months, which suggests that the majority of DBS-related lesions would
have been missed had we ended our patient follow-up at 6 months.”

WE MOVE. PRIVATE DONATIONS ARE NEEDED TO SUPPORT WE MOVE's VALUABLE,
FREE SERVICES LIKE THIS ELECTRONIC NEWS SERVICE. Donate online at
http://www.wemove.org, or send your tax-deductible contribution to
WE MOVE, 204 West 84th Street New York, NY 10024. TEL 800-437-MOV2
or 212- 875-8312.  Thank you so much!
-
This document may be freely redistributed by email only in its
unedited form. We encourage you to share it with your colleagues.
Visit http://www.wemove.org/emove for E-MOVE archives and information
on subscribing to E-MOVE. To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.wemove.org/emove/unsubscribe.asp.
-
WE MOVE
204 West 84th Street