Dear Ann:

I am not a statistician either, but I used statistics in my profession.  I
believe the progression in effect with dosage is what you and your husband
expect - I would guess this to be more out of common sense than statistics.
If these results are expected to reflect an underlying linear equation then
I, too, would expect more effect at 600 than 300, even if not statistically
significant.

A lack of statistical significance at 600 might also indicated that the
variable being measured cannot be confidently quantified from the sample
studied, which I believe Dr. Lieberman was saying.

But the underlying effect could be non-linear, in which case, even if known,
the effectiveness variable might be quite different.   When the system being
studied is a biological one, extremely complicated with many different
inputs, I believe non-linearity in two dimensions (dosage and effect) is
more likely in the real world than linearity.

Thus, based on my limited knowledge, I wouldn't question the study results
based on the effects apparently yielded by a progression of doses in what
was probably a relatively small sample.

Michael in Tampa

Father is PWP 72/70/61