Ann  I have some experience in statistics but am far from being the answer
man.  But I can tell you the following:  there were four groups in this
study and the numbers represent the average for each group.  Thus, the range
of responses in each group would be higher and lower than these numbers.
And statistics attempts to answer the question: are these groups really
different from each other or are the differences so small that there really
is no difference i.e. the drug or, in this case, enzyme had no effect. (by
looking at averages and standard deviations)

If I remember the results correctly, there was no diff between the control
group and the others except for the 1200 mg group.   This MIGHT mean that
you need 1200 mg to achieve an effect.  But I think there was a positve
correlation found between the dosages and the results.  This correlation,
however, was not as significant(alpha was chosen to be .10 instead of .05,
i.e. the probability of being right was only 90% not 95%) and wouldnt count
if done in a more complete study(more participants).

BUT remember, this study was very limited and no professional would
recommend its usage until it was backed up with a better study.  A patient
with PD, however, might want to try something that showed promise even tho
the study was only preliminary!  For example, I now take 600 mg of CoQ10
each day--I hedged my bet--I didnt go with the 1200 mg due to cost and
potential side effects.  And, the % change in UPDRS may not be very large
i.e. the numbers that we see are the CHANGES  in the scale not the total
rating.  Ie, dont expect a 50-100% improvement even if the enzyme does work.

You question the lack of logic in the data i.e. the 300mg group did better
than the 600 mg group, etc.  Welcome to the real world.  Data arent always
consistent.  This might mean that the enzyme changes its effect based on
dosage; it might mean that more data is needed; it might mean that the
enzyme has no effect; or that the particpants were not truly randomized.  Or
all of the above.

Sorry, if I've confused the issue even more.  Bob