as posted to
the mgh pd webforum
and newvoicenews newsletter
as snail mailed to the
ontario disability support program:

Dear ODSP:

I am requesting an internal review of your decision to deny my application
for a Community Start-Up Benefit (CSUB) because it "requires prior
approval", per my letter of 23 January 2002 and your letter of 14 February
2002. (The referenced move took place on 31 May 2001, from Mill Street to
Country Street, both in Almonte).

I disagree with your decision for the following reasons:

1. A precedent was set in my previous CSUB in re my apartment rental
effective 01 April 1999 at Mill Street, wherein my first ever CSUB request
was approved by ODSP after the fact, that is, on 15 June 1999.

2. A move to accessible and subsidised accommodation was strongly
recommended to me in January 2001, by the property manager, and the
coordinator of the local community support corporation, due to their
concerns re my safety, as well as rental costs, at the Mill Street location.

3. Physical access to that apartment (via two flights of exterior metal
stairs) became more difficult and potentially dangerous for me during the
22 months I lived there (01 April 1999 to 01 June 2001).

4. In contrast, the Country Street building provides elevator service to my
third floor apartment. The entire building is designed for wheelchair
access: a need of mine in the near future. My mobility problems have been
flagged with the building management and the local fire department, so my
safety is much less of a concern than at the Mill Street location.

5. While living at Mill Street, I had also been struggling financially: the
move from Mill Street (rent $500) to Country Street (rent $59) meant that
my basic living allowance increased to $486 ($645 gross pension less $159
shelter costs) from  $380 ($930 gross pension less $550 shelter costs).

6. Due to the average waiting period for subsidised housing being reduced
unexpectedly (from an estimate of 15 months to 2 months), and also due to
my deteriorating physical and emotional condition, I was unable to obtain
three competitive estimates of packing and moving costs in a timely manner,
as suggested to me over the telephone by ODSP staff. I therefore contacted
(and negotiated costs with) the same moving company who had been approved
in my prior move, since they had performed their work admirably and
efficiently then. (I was not disappointed with the second move, and would
not hesitate to recommend them again)

My condition (Parkinson's disease - a combination of movement and mood
disorder) is incurable and progressive. Doing anything at any speed becomes
more problematic for me as time passes; thus, please accept my apologies
for the delay in submitting this request to you.

Best regards

Janet Paterson

375 Country Street
Almonte, Ontario K0A 1A0
(Tel: 613-256-8340)

JMP/sf

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
pd: 55-41-37 cd: 55-44-43 tel: 613-256-8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 301-375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/