I worked for at the Oregon Department of Revenue for thirteen years after
diagnosis. My emplorer did make some accomodtion for me. For one they the
installed on mny computer Dargon Naturally Speaking Professional and I got
to be fairly good at it. There were ssome aspects of the job I could no
longer do to my satisfaction so after thirten years I went on disability.
During that time i did have one supervisor who was putting some pressure on
meto get me to quit. She actually violated ADA but i never called her on
it. She moved on to another agency. and it was i who made the decision to
go on disability. Now i get payment from PERS and federal Disability
these two sources are jjust about equal to what ny salary was at the
department.

At 09:17 PM 11/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Welcome to the parkinsn list Sandy.
>The ER storyline has spurred an interesting discussion. My 2 cents worth
>-
>
>I thought the first episode was better, but throughout both of them Don
>Cheadle's portrayal was extraordinary. It seemed at times like i was
>watching myself. And for the general public whose image of PWP is often
>of a senior citizen with shaky hands - ER is presenting an education
>about young onset Parkinson's and all it's manifestations. How many other
>people knew about or have witnessed dyskinesia or freezing before?
>It also didn't seem to me that they were minimizing the toll PD takes on
>the ability to work. Looking at Cheadle's face and the reactions of those
>around him - you could see the struggle he is going through.
>
>The destruction of  our ability to earn a living, of our careers and our
>working identities  is among  the cruelest blows  PD inflicts on young
>onset patients. And there are two sides to the problem. As stated earlier
>--  PWP should not be denied disability benefits  by the government or
>insurance companies due to ignorance about the diseaase. Those making
>decisions on our disability claims and politicians who set national
>policies as well, must be educated to understand all of the physical and
>cognitive symptoms of PD and their impact on an indivdiual's ability to
>work. They also need to understand that PD symptoms and its progression
>are very different for each PWP.
>
>At the same time there are PWP who are able to continue working many
>years past their diagnosis. We should have the  right to work -- with
>accomodations if needed, and we should be protected against
>discrimination by  the ADA (in the U.S.)  It's not uncommon for PWP,
>after revealing their PD diagnosis to their employers, to soon be shown
>out the door . Or their jobs made so stressful and difficult that they
>have no choice but to quit.  The decision on how long we are able to work
>often depends not only on the progression of the disease, but also on the
>support offered by  our employers, supervisors, and  co-workers.
>
>All in all, I think these ER episodes are helping to educate the public
>about  PD and increasing awareness - and that can only help all of us.
>Don Cheadle is supposedly not going to be a regular - he is only
>scheduled for 4 episodes - i have a hunch on how his story line is going
>to end , but let's wait and see.....
>
>Linda Herman

Yours and His
David L Moreland