Date sent:              Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:51:37 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Don/Karen Berns <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Pallidotomy Query by Barb Davis
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> The pallidotomy does not represent a cure but it is the next best
> thing.
>
> After nine years I am still remarkably improved thanks to my
> pallidotomy.

It is indeed good that Don Berns had had such a good result from his
pallidotomy.  This, however, is far from universal, especially over
the "long haul".  Many surgical procedures, especially the
destructive operations such as pallidotomy and thalamotomy have,
after some years, lost their beneficial effect; and the patient, now
with an "anatomically modified" brain, may not be a candidate for the
newer procedures.

At the latest neurosurgical meetings, pallidotomy has been declared
to no longer be the "state of the art" in most cases of surgically-
amenable Parkinson's disease.  The current state-of-the-art is DBS;
but that, too, may change.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"