University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
11-Nov-02

Researchers Make Stem Cell Breakthrough

Library: MED

ALZHEIMER'S ALS

for the use of stem cells in central nervous system
therapies, researchers at UTMB have found a way
to make the majority of human fetal stem cells
implanted into rat brains and spinal cords
develop into neurons.
(Nature Neuroscience, Dec-2002)

University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Public Affairs Office
301 University Boulevard, Suite 3.102
Galveston, Texas 77555-0144

Jim Kelly, (409) 772-8791
Pager: (409) 643-1837

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE:
2 p.m. EST, Nov. 10, 2002

UTMB RESEARCHERS
MAKE STEM CELL BREAKTHROUGH

GALVESTON, Texas--For years, scientists have
dreamed of using stem cells--cells that can become
any cell type in the human body -- to replace neurons
damaged by brain or spinal cord injury or such
neurological disorders as Parkinson's disease,
Alzheimer's disease or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
(ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease). But a major obstacle
has always stood in the path of making such a therapy
work: Whether derived from embryonic or adult tissue,
only a few stem cells transform themselves into
neurons when placed in most areas of the brain
and spinal cord. Most simply fail to develop,
or become glial support cells, not the neurons
that need to be replaced.

Now, in a breakthrough with great significance
for the use of stem cells in central nervous system
therapies, researchers at the University of Texas
Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB) have found
a way to make the majority of human fetal stem cells
implanted into rat brains and spinal cords develop
into neurons.

A Nature Neuroscience paper entitled
"Region-specific generation of cholinergic neurons
from fetal human neural stem cells grafted in adult rat"
(published in the journal's December issue
and appearing online November 11) describes
experiments by Ping Wu, Yevgeniya Tarasenko,
Yanping Gu, Li-Yen Huang, Richard Coggeshall
and Yongjia Yu in which they pre-treated human fetal
stem cells with a mixture of chemicals important
to neuron development. When injected into the
prefrontal cortex, medial septum and spinal cord
of adult rats -- all "non-neurogenic" regions that
normally do not produce new nerve cells -- the
"primed" cells almost all differentiated into neurons.
Moreover, they developed into exactly the right kind
of neurons for the central nervous system area into
which they were implanted.

"This priming seems to get the cells into a plastic
intermediate stage, and then after they're injected
they acquire environmental cues and become specific
kinds of neurons according to where they're located,"
said Wu, an assistant professor of anatomy and
neurosciences at UTMB.

Wu, who holds a doctorate in neuroendocrinology
from UTMB in addition to a medical degree,
has worked for two years to find a way to get fetal
stem cells to develop into cholinergic motor neurons
-- nerve cells that release the neurotransmitter
acetylcholine and also provide the link between
the central nervous system and the muscles.

"As an M.D., my ultimate goal is to find a way
to help patients with neurological disorders and
brain and spinal cord injury, and cholinergic neurons
are what degenerate in disorders like Alzheimer's
and Lou Gehrig's disease, as well as being damaged
in spinal and brain trauma," Wu said. "Until now,
nobody's been able to get a significant number
of cholinergic neurons from primarily cultured
stem cells, but using this primer we can get
over 55 percent such neurons with transplanted
stem cells."

Funded by a new researcher grant from the Sealy
& Smith Foundation and a grant from The Institute
for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) Mission
Connect project, Wu's group is continuing to
investigate the possibilities for stem cell implantation
-- extending the studies it has already conducted
on healthy rats to those with spinal cord injury
and motor neuron disease.

"We will see if we can produce the same results
in those diseased animals, and then the next
challenge will be to see if the neurons can actually
make the right contact to the right targets
-- for example, if motor neurons are transplanted
into the spinal cord, whether they can send fibers,
or axons, to muscle," Wu said. "Then we'll see
if they can release the neurotransmitters, and then
look at function to see if there is a long-term
functional recovery. We also need to confirm that
there is no tumor formation from the implanted
stem cells. Then we're talking about real clinical
significance and real clinical trials. And hopefully
after we sort out those critical issues, we can think
about clinical applications to treat neurodegenerative
diseases and spinal and brain trauma."

--UTMB--

SOURCE: Newswise
http://www.newswise.com/articles/2002/11/STEMCELL.TMB.html