Good Day ,
Although the time between research and practice seems interminable an article in Business Week (Page 58 Nov 18, 2002 Issue) does have promise. It discusses the use of GDNF directly injected into the Substantia Nigra by pump. The possible results of this procedure is regeneration of the cells affected by whatever. They use the analogy of a healing cut or abrasion. The study at University of Kentucky has a 10 patient group undergoing clinical trials. The work was funded ($ 5.0 mil)  by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders (NINDS) a division of the National Institute of Health and they also got Amgen on board (Maker of GDNF).  This in spire of the fact that Amgen had previously tried GDNF to treat Parkinson's and stuck out.

Without repeating the entire article I believe that this type of research will in the end provide one of  tools used for the PD relief we all seek. In the story it mentions that there are 1.2 million Parkinson's patients in North America, I would assume 3 times that many in the world.  If the results of these clinical trials are enough to move forward we have a step in the direction of stabilizing if not a cure. My experience, mostly engineering and computers, is that breakthroughs in technical areas are the result of allocating resources to those persons with sound insight and dedication to solutions. This appears to be one of those situations.
Regards, Bill Lawless
[Ergo hoc, ergo propter hoc!] a logical fallacy.