I watched my husband hide his PD for 7 years and continue to work until he
could do it no more.  He would hide taking his medication, and rise 2 hours
early to drive 50 miles to get to work, his life was work, exhaustion, bed
for 7 years.  He could not believe at 46, his life was over and it wasn't,
just his identity was.  He now has totaled 17 years of this dreadful disease
and is progressing rapidly to where he cannot move just as the character on
ER portrayed.  But, there again, when I read some stories where in 2 years
someone has lost the ability to walk, I think it could have been worse.
At that time, we had to wait 2 years for disability, no pension, so we wiped
out our life savings just surviving.  People knew nothing about PD so early
in life, it was my famous line "it's just an old people's disease, no big
deal." That's all I ever heard when I spoke to someone. There was no Michael
J. Fox, just about 50 of us who went to Washington to try and do something,
anything.  I know I am thankful for ER giving realistic view of this disease.
Gerry