  But, there again, when I read some stories where in 2 years
> someone has lost the ability to walk, I think it could have been worse.

Gerry, my husband has had PD for 22 years - he worked for DuPont and retired
in 1999 on disability.  DuPont provided every assistive device they could
think of, sent an OT to our home to offer suggestions about modifications
and was generous when my husband recognized that he could no longer work (he
is a physical chemist).

Although Jamie has had trouble walking after being very ill over the past 3
months (first, a severe case of Prostatis and then quintuple bypass
surgery), we get him up to walk several times a day and are working on
patterning  his muscles so that he can regain his strength.  If we had
allowed him to sit constantly, if we had listened to his doctors and nurses
and the prevailing philosophy about the inability of PD folks to walk
eventually, I'm convinced that he would have become wheelchair bound.
Patterning and exercise have made a huge difference in my husband's ability
to function.

I understand your anguish and concern over the progress of your husband's
disease.   But....there is hope.  New drugs are being developed every day
and research has been more successful in this neurological disease than in
any other.  My prayers and thoughts are with you.
-----
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 63/22)