gerry,
        you're letter really struck a cord with me.  I'm a school teacher,
diagnosed 5 years ago.  I'm able to work but I come home and find that
I don't have the energy to help and I'm short tempered with my kids.  I
have an appointment with my nuero in two weeks and I'm considering
asking him to fill out the paperwork for a disability claim.  It's like
you said about your husband... my identity has always been so tied with
my work, my successes and reputation as a "can do guy."  What will
happen when I'm not working?  The other thing is that I'm nervous that
my nuero will balk at making the recommendation at this time.
Sometimes I feel like he's quick to minimize my problems.
        I'm leaning toward making the application though, and seeing what
happens.  I'd rather be energetic for my family if there's a chance of
receiving disability, than spending all my gumption at work.  I wish it
was more of a clear cut choice... sometimes I wish I had someone to
tell me, "This is what you should do."  Wouldn't that be a lot easier?

Scott Burnett
Stockton California