What a story! God bless you, Bill.

C. Menser

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Lawless <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, November 11, 2002 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: Bill'sPD/his son's ALS

Rayilyn,
When Bill Jr. was diagnosed with ALS, after he  confirmed the findings he
called. Of course my heart sank with news. My reply was " get your self
together spiritually and financially and I will cover the rest of the
things" . ALS is quick, foot drop in November, diagnosis in February, unable
to work by  May, unable to stand alone by June, and unable to climb  a stair
by October. During this time we had sold his home, sold our home, bought a
more ALS friendly home and moved both households. All by November 1st.

After that sequence of events, it was trips to therapy, to church, etc that
were somewhat taxing, because they involved lifting a 150 LB man 4 to 6
times each trip. Once the patient loses the capacity to stand by their self
they must have assistance available 16 hours each day. Unlike a paraplegic
the ALS person with Lower MND begins to lose upper body strength as well.
Bill progressed the same as Morrie Swartz (Tuesdays with Morrie, a very
accurate portrayal, except I was dealing with the details.)  When most of
the upper body strength was gone we had to make special arrangements for
eating , drinking and written communication.

Creativity is a wonderful gift in those circumstances. Like you can't lie in
bed on your back with covers dragging your feet, it hurts the tendons and
there is no muscle strength. You lack the capacity to move your legs, now
what?  Eventually you solve the problem, cost $ 0.00 creativity 100%. You
can't bend over to drink and you can't hold a glass, now what ? You find a
way to raise the glass. You can't hold a phone, find one with a headset.
You can't write or type, learn to  talk to a computer, and on and on.  The
prize challenge was how do you run a breathing assist machine if the power
fails, and how in the middle of the night would you know if the power
failed? .(At the time Bill went to Hospice he could only do without the
machine for about  a minute)  It was quite a time we had together.

Caregiving is not a job for the timid or weak. I probably could not repeat
the process now, but not for lack of desire. Ole' PD has limited my ability
a bit.  Having that experience close up and personal makes me glad I can
still drive, shop, maintain my house and yard etc. if I pick the correct
time of day. I have made one concession, my wife drives when we are out
together. Scares me, but I am adjusting and haven't had to carry a change of
clothes yet.

Regards, Bill Lawless
[Ergo hoc, ergo propter hoc!] a logical fallacy.