From: "janet paterson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 11:33 PM
Subject: Reuters: Reno on Parkinson's: Limiting, but not
debilitating

Reno on Parkinson's: Limiting, but not debilitating

MIAMI (Reuters Health) - Living with Parkinson's disease has an
impact on
one's life, but it need not take a person out of mainstream
society, Janet
Reno said here at the Movement Disorders Society's Seventh
International
Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders.

"This (disease) has been an extraordinary experience for me,"
said Reno,
the United States attorney general from 1993 to 2001, during the
Clinton
administration. She said the limitations she faces due to her
condition
have forced her to learn new skills. For example, although her
handwriting
is less legible than it used to be, she composes letters on her
computer
keyboard and "the spell-check works just fine."

Reno first noticed her symptoms in 1995, when she was walking
near the
Capitol building in Washington, DC, and saw a tremor in her hand.
In
October of that year, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease
and
publicly disclosed the diagnosis shortly afterward.

"People were aghast that I made my condition public," she said.
However,
she said, she saw no alternative other than public disclosure.

A reaction she found amusing was the query, from several people,
about the
impact of stress on Parkinson's disease. "Well, after I got
Parkinson's
disease, I dealt with Elian, the independent council and the
Oklahoma City
bombing," she said. "None of these had any effect on my
Parkinson's disease."

She referred, respectively and not in chronological order, to a
controversy
regarding a Cuban boy, Elian Gonzales, stranded in the United
States; an
independent council under the auspices of Kenneth Starr
investigating
several aspects of the Clinton administration; and the bombing of
a federal
building in Oklahoma City.

Both detractors and supporters often raised the question of
stress during
her campaign for governor of Florida. Reno acknowledged that her
Parkinson's disease had an effect on the campaign, but she said
the impact
resulted from other people's speculations rather than any
limitations she
herself felt.

"Before I decided to run for governor, I asked my physicians if
they felt
my condition would affect my ability to hold public office," she
said. When
they gave her the go-ahead, she in turn made her doctors
available to the
press to answer questions.

Despite her defeat in the primaries, Reno said she has no
regrets, and she
urged those present to support people with similar disabilities
in their
aspirations. This is one of several reasons, she said, that she
has chosen
to be open about her condition.

"It's extremely important to recognize that people with
disabilities can
make a difference," and that they have a contribution to make,
she said.
Crediting her own physicians, she said, "It's amazing what you
can do with
a physician encouraging you."

By Paula Moyer
Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited.
Last Updated: 2002-11-11 13:04:32 -0400 (Reuters Health)
http://www.reutershealth.com/

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily
perky, parky
pd: 55-41-37 cd: 55-44-43 tel: 613-256-8340 email:
smail: 301-375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/

-----
To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]