-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Real Oldone
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 10:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ER and PD

I understand the need to expose the public the Parkinson's in order to
hopefully increase funding for research.  However no less important
(perhaps
even more important) is the recognition that because the disease is not
known for a whole lot more that 'shaking and stiff' it may serve in this
instance to form the wrong public opinion and trend certain corporations
and
other agencies who provide services (ie Social Security, Disability
Corporations etc etc) away from recognizing the true scope and severity
of
this disease and its progressive effects on disability and hence
occupational abilities etc.
This may make it more difficult for the lone citizen to successfully
negotiate with their disability company (that in many regards may be
somewhat clueless as to the profound effects of Parkinson's).
Fortunately
the Social Security Dept. is well versed relative to written protocol
and
assessment for disability and Parkinson's, but government policies can
be
influenced by politicians that themselves may be misinformed as to the
full
effects and scope of Parkinson's Disease.
I also was a critical care anesthesiologist that was forced to leave my
life's passion and pursuit at the age of 45 due to this damnable and
debilitating disease.  The changes in motor skills and coginitive
changes (I
am requiring Aricept for early cognitive deterioration and require
additional medication for Parkinson's base depression, and low dose
antipsychotic for dopamine replacement hallucinations; none of which are
uncommon) quintessentially disqualify me from participation in patient
care.
I can no longer hold an active license to practice medicine; something I
was
born and bred to do and spent the better part of my life aggressively
pursuing.
I agree wholeheartedly that we need as much exposure as possible however
for
the thousands out there that may be undergoing efforts to obtain
services
and support in order to survive and perhaps like myself continue to
support
a family; they have enough of a profound battle and the addition of new
misperceptions will be ultimately of less benefit than utility.