Welcome to the parkinsn list Sandy.
The ER storyline has spurred an interesting discussion. My 2 cents worth
-

I thought the first episode was better, but throughout both of them Don
Cheadle's portrayal was extraordinary. It seemed at times like i was
watching myself. And for the general public whose image of PWP is often
of a senior citizen with shaky hands - ER is presenting an education
about young onset Parkinson's and all it's manifestations. How many other
people knew about or have witnessed dyskinesia or freezing before?
It also didn't seem to me that they were minimizing the toll PD takes on
the ability to work. Looking at Cheadle's face and the reactions of those
around him - you could see the struggle he is going through.

The destruction of  our ability to earn a living, of our careers and our
working identities  is among  the cruelest blows  PD inflicts on young
onset patients. And there are two sides to the problem. As stated earlier
--  PWP should not be denied disability benefits  by the government or
insurance companies due to ignorance about the diseaase. Those making
decisions on our disability claims and politicians who set national
policies as well, must be educated to understand all of the physical and
cognitive symptoms of PD and their impact on an indivdiual's ability to
work. They also need to understand that PD symptoms and its progression
are very different for each PWP.

At the same time there are PWP who are able to continue working many
years past their diagnosis. We should have the  right to work -- with
accomodations if needed, and we should be protected against
discrimination by  the ADA (in the U.S.)  It's not uncommon for PWP,
after revealing their PD diagnosis to their employers, to soon be shown
out the door . Or their jobs made so stressful and difficult that they
have no choice but to quit.  The decision on how long we are able to work
often depends not only on the progression of the disease, but also on the
support offered by  our employers, supervisors, and  co-workers.

All in all, I think these ER episodes are helping to educate the public
about  PD and increasing awareness - and that can only help all of us.
Don Cheadle is supposedly not going to be a regular - he is only
scheduled for 4 episodes - i have a hunch on how his story line is going
to end , but let's wait and see.....

Linda Herman