FDOPA PET SCAN.

I have read much on the subject, both pro and con, and my viewpoint is
if it can even feasibly determine dopamine loss and thus diagnose your
symptoms as being related to Parkinson's (dopamine deficiency) rather
then a similiar disease exhibiting the same symptoms yet not dopamine
deficiency related.---then I am 100% for it.

Of the 6 people I have heard of getting the FDOPA PET SCAN since it
became an issue thanks to Deborah Setzer, 4 of them came back negative
for Parkinson's. One was chiara, another dopamine responsive dystonia,
another was depression, and the fourth I have to look up.   I am pushing
on getting it done here but having a problem even just getting in to see
a doctor!

I still highly encourage everyone to pursue this test and also encourage
our own docs to educate themselves on it, it concerns me to hear any
doctor much less a neurologist say this test is not for Parkinson's & I
would encourage everyone to print the following (one of many) sources
and take it to their next appointment.

If anyone has had, or is working on getting this done, please post the
results.

Here is some info on FDOPA PET courtesy of UCLA, again one of many
examples:

The above link willl take you to a brochure on PET, I ask you all to
print it & take to your neuros.

source: http://www.nuc.ucla.edu/html_docs/PET/petbrochure.pdf

PET images of the brain will show if you have Parkinson’s disease. A
labeled amino acid called F-DOPA is used with PET to see if your brain
has a deficiency in dopamine synthesis. If it doesn’t, then you do not
suffer from Parkinson’s, and your tremor will be treated differently.

P ET is safe.

P ET replaces multiple medical testing procedures with a single exam.

PET shows all the organ systems of the body with one image.

P ET diagnoses disease often before it shows up on other tests.

PET shows the progress of disease and how the body responds to
treatment.

P ET reduces or eliminates ineffective or unnecessary surgical or
medical treatments

and hospitalization.

PET significantly reduces multiple medical costs and avoids needless
pain to the patient.

People expect quality medical care at a reasonable cost and up-to-date
diagnosis and treatment. Medical costs are most expensive when doctors
are pursuing the origin of disease. As long as the disease is unknown,
more tests will be done and more costs will result.

PET can effectively pinpoint the source of many of the most common
cancers, heart and neurological diseases, eliminating the need for
redundant tests and diagnostic surgical procedures. PE T is a powerful,
proven diagnostic imaging modality that displays the biological basis of
function in the organ systems of the human body unobtainable through any
other means.

In a world of limited resources, PET saves time,saves money, and, most
importantly, saves lives.

Thomas Berdine
Parkison's Advocate
www.youngparkinsons.com