Hi...I just received these two drug alerts and am passing them  on...#1)
lists several drugs one of which has been mentioned here before... Baclofen
(injectable) ........ and #2 mentions bextra ..used for arthritis
pain..(last year, before it was  "out on the shelf" as the dr put it, he
gave me a two-month supply of samples...only took a couple of days  worth
and didn't take the rest as I felt "funny" on it..)......Joan Hartman

1)  Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 6:30 AM
Subject: MedWatch - Nationwide alert concerning all injectable drugs prepa
red by Urgent Care Pharmacy
> MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
 The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a nationwide alert
concerning all injectable drugs prepared by Urgent Care Pharmacy of
Spartanburg, South Carolina, based on the lack of assurance that their
> products are sterile. Non-sterility of injectable products can represent a
> serious hazard to health that could lead to life-threatening injuries and
> death. FDA inspection of Urgent Care's facility revealed the firm failed
> have adequate controls to ensure necessary sterility, including the
absence
> of appropriate testing for potency and sterility prior to distribution.
> FDA is aware that Urgent Care has distributed the following injectable
drugs
> to physicians, hospitals, clinics and consumers in Connecticut, Illinois,
> Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire,
> North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia: Baclofen, Betamethasone,
Bimix
> 30:1, (Phentolamine mesylate/papaverine), Clonidine, Estradiol,
> Hydromorphone HCl, Fentanyl, Methylprednisole acetate, Morphine
> Sulfate/Bupivacaine, Papaverine HCl, Super Trimix (Papaverine
> HCl/phentolamine mesylate/prostaglandin), Testosterone cypionate,
> Testosterone/Estradiol.
> Read the MedWatch 2002 safety alert, including a link to the FDA Talk
Paper regarding this alert, at:
www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2002/safety02.htm#inject

2)  FDA Warns Painkiller Can Cause Serious Reactions
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned that a new painkiller
called Bextra has been associated with potentially fatal skin diseases, and
that anyone who develops a rash after taking it should stop the drug
immediately.
Since March, when Bextra sales first began, there have been about 20
reported cases of complications arising from the drug, including the skin
diseases Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, exfoliative
dermatitis, and allergic reactions, the Associated Press reports.
The FDA estimates that by the time the dangerous side effects were reported,
about 800,000 to 1 million people had already begun taking Bextra, which is
an anti-inflammatory used to treat arthritis and menstrual pain.
Dr. Lawrence Goldkind, the agency's deputy director for painkillers, said
there is less chance of a severe reaction occurring if users stop Bextra at
the first hint of a rash.
The FDA also said anyone allergic to drugs containing sulfa should not take
Bextra.
The FDA "Talk Paper" is at the following link ...
www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2002/ANS01170.html