Regarding hospital beds, it made perfect sense to me to get one for my
husband who had a very hard time getting out of bed due to rigidity. However,
the psychological implication of having a hospital bed (rather than a regular
bed) was something I hadn't anticipated. Although we had the bed for about
eight months, not once did he use the controls to help himself. His feeling
was that he 'didn't need' to use them, although it would have made life much
simpler for him. It served as a symbol of his illness and he stubbornly would
not take advantage of the ease it would have allowed him. If you have someone
in your life with PD that does not want to use a walker or wheelchair or with
the utmost reluctance, a hospital bed may also be something they balk at.

Pamme