George, you question is timely.  My husband recently had a quintuple bypass
and has severe PD.  We now have a hospital bed that he has finally adjusted
to, but the mattress is terribly uncomfortable.

Not far from us is an adjustable bed store.  We had previously looked at the
beds and Jamie had tried them out.  We discovered that he had great
difficulty moving in the bed that provided the 'molded to you' mattress -
that soft foam pad that is supposed to caress you body doesn't allow folks
with PD to move at all.  We finally decided on 2 twin adjustables - I think
that Sealy made the mattress.  Unfortunately, we were going to gear up our
bedroom for the beds and never got around to ordering them - now I'm
scrurrying around trying to fix our bedroom so that we can look at the beds
yet again and decide which will be best for Jamie.

Adjustable beds offer the option of head and knee elevation.  Elevating the
knees provides for better back support.  So.......we're going to get
adjustable beds.  The cost, incidentally was $1500 per bed and the mattress,
and the cost is tax deductible.  Getting a prescription from the doctor will
also lower the price.
-----
God bless
Mary Ann Ryan (CG Jamie 63/23)