This is certainly not the news we hoped for.  It distresses me in particular
because I had a related surgery, using fetal pig cells, 6 years ago.  And my
results have been impressive.  (Although certainly not a cure.)

This is the curse of medical research.  Years of work and lots of money often
result in hitting the proverbial brick wall.  And, cruelest of all, is the
media hype we experience almost daily.  Beyond the headlines, the fine print
reads something like this: "Early animal studies indicate... or "Human trials
5 - 10 years away," and the like.

The best we can do is to keep ourselves informed and involved.  Support
groups and the Internet are great resources.

Newer members of this LISTSERV with an interest in the surgery I had in 1996
may access my online diary at:

 <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn">http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn
</A>

Regards -