Hi All -

We all have the same goal: To have our common cause very visible to the
public at large.  That's a given.  At the same time we must be aware that
there are conditions and diseases which are more widespread and more in the
minds of the citizenry.

This is due, in no small part, to coverage by the media.  It extends to
radio, TV, newspapers, magazines, and most recently, the Internet.  These
outlets are almost always looking for ideas for stories.  It is quite
possible that you may be contacted by local, regional, national, and even
international news organizations.  Are you ready for the challenge?  It can
be a very rewarding experience or it can be a daunting one.

Because of a special surgery performed in 1996 - you can click on the link
below for details - I have been the subject of many interviews (60 Minutes,
BBC, Discovery/TLC, Frontline, Oprah, etc.)  I'd like to share some
observations with you on how to work with, and what to expect from, the
people who gather and report the news.

 <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn">http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn
</A>

Once you've been contacted by the news outfit you must decide if you are
willing to participate.  You are under no obligation to do so but we'll
assume that you are agreeable.  You're next move is to check out the
company's website.  The big ones - like BBC or PBS - have a good reputation
for journalistic integrity.  Others, however, may be less discriminating in
their work.  One foreign magazine contacted me about this story and wanted to
send a reporter to my house for an interview.  Before agreeing to it I
discovered the periodical was equivalent to our seediest tabloids.  I
declined their offer.

If this is going to be a television interview (for a TV magazine-type
program) it is quite possible they will send a producer out first.  His job
is to compile information useful to the interviewer, the sound, camera, and
light guys, the photographer, etc.  In many cases they will want to work at
your home.  It was quite a sight when CBS showed up with 2 SUVs full of staff
and equipment!  They filled the living room and dining room with lights,
microphones, video recorders, and other electronics.

In this particular case the piece was in production for 4 - 5 months before
it was broadcast.  And that's nothing compared to other efforts!

Locally produced news programs are likely to be far less complicated.
They'll send an interviewer and a camera/light/sound person and maybe a
producer to help guide the procedure.  These programs usually air within 1 -
3 days.

Documentary shows are something altogether different.  These programs
generally have more time to offer in-depth coverage of a particular subject.
The crew may be with you for an entire day of taping.  At 1 point I was
working with 2 programs at the same time!  In fact, they were both initially
broadcast within a week.  The first was produced by BBC/Discovery and the
other by ITV/PBS.  And they were in production for over 18 months.

If you're up to it some programs will ask you to travel to their facilities.
Expect them to arrange and pay for all of your expenses.  These include taxi
and airline fares, meals, and lodging.  Typically there will be someone on
staff who will make all of the arrangements.  And the hotel should be
first-class.  60 Minutes and Oprah both used especially nice places;
Washington's ANA and Chicago's Omni.

In all cases of working with television people don't be afraid of making
suggestions about their questions, how the lighting is working, etc.  They
are glad that you're interested in their work!  With 1 crew I suggested that
they include a scene of me while I drove my sports car.  It worked out very
well.

Oprah is the only show I've done with a studio audience.  It was unnerving to
the point where I nearly cried.  It was that emotional!  It is nothing like
an interview that takes place in a regular room with only a couple of people
standing around.  In this case you KNOW there are 300 people hanging on your
every word and movement.  It was an experience never to be forgotten.

To be continued.

Jim Finn