Hi Bill:
 Here in California I was quite fortunate to have no hassle in getting
firstly state disability which I was entitled to for a year and then Social
Security disability.  The biggest surprise for me was then Social Security
contacted me and told me my two sons, who are both under 18, were also
entitled to receive a benefit under my name as I was a contributing member to
 our household  before my forced early retirement due to Parkinson's.  I
should add here that the key is having a supportive neurologist willing to
sign all necessary forms.
  The boys are each receiving a monthly check of approx $275 which we are
setting aside for them unless there is an obvious need and then I record the
expense.  My social security disability check is approx $1,000 per month,
which really helps.  Hope this info is of benefit to you.  Diana