From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network

Date: Friday, November 22, 2002 08:25:54

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Meds and ER (chewing sinemet)

Although chewing the sinemet (or breaking in half and putting under the

tongue or inside bottom lip) gives a faster "on"...........it also usually

leads to a faster "off" (in otherwords the on time comes faster, but doesn't

last longer......

Is helpful in an occasional "I need it now" situation.

Some patients in our local area also report that most esophogeal (sp?) and

stomach irritation occurs if this "chewing" is a regular habit.

There are plusses and minuses with this practice as well as any other

routine. The neurologists in our area have given this as a "suggestion" to

some patients for many years. It is generally not recommended on a

daily/hourly basis.

Be sure to get plenty of ginger ale or other "sugar" liquid at the

time.....so it is inot full strength Sinemet going through your system with

no "diluting liquid".

Rita